Soundwire Ensemble (Music 158, 2-3 units)
General Information (Fall, 2007)
The Soundwire Ensemble is a group dedicated to online improvised performance and composition featuring a wide mix of instrumentalists. Growing out of a tradition of group improvisation and online jamming, its members rehearse weekly with participating ensembles at other institutions (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Princeton, UCSD, UCSC, and others) performing public concerts and recording. In the past season, Soundwire and its partners have performed together for audiences in Belfast, Seoul, Chicago, San Diego, Montreal, Rensselaer, NYC, UCSC and Stanford.
All interested musicians are welcome to join. Please attend the first meeting for information about the course.
Information on participants and tech setup can be found in the wiki.
Who, When and Where
- Chris Chafe co-director with Ge Wang and assisted by Juan-Pablo Caceres
- CCRMA Stage, Knoll Building
- 11am - 1pm Thursdays
Participating online ensembles:
- Tintinnabulate Ensemble directed by Pauline Oliveros and Jonas Braasch, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Plork (Princeton Laptop Orchestra) directed by Daniel Truemanand Perry Cook, Princeton
- UCSD musicians Shahrokh Yadegari, Todd Margolis, Mark Dresser, Adriene Jenik, Miller Puckette
- UCSC musicians Synthia Payne and others
- 27-Sep first meeting and introduction
- 4-Oct online rehearsal
- 11-Oct online rehearsal
- 18-Oct online rehearsal
- 25-Oct online rehearsal
- 1-Nov online rehearsal
- 8-Nov online rehearsal with Pauline Oliveros at Stanford
- 15-Nov dress rehearsal and recording session
- 16-Nov (5:30pm) concert
- 22-Nov no meeting, Thanksgiving vacation
- 29-Nov dress rehearsal during regular meeting and evening concert (time TBA)
Fall Concert Program, Stanford Audience
Telematic Circle, an online collective of musicians, 16-Nov, CCRMA Stage, Knoll Building, 5:30pm (Pacific), 8:30pm (Eastern).
The Telematic Circle is several ensembles rehearsing and performing in real time via Internet2.
- Celletto concerto: with Sarah Weaver, conductor Chris Chafe, celletto Telematic Circle (real-time DV quality video)
- Quartet: Curtis Bahn, dilruba and laptop Pauline Oliveros, accordian and laptop Mark Dresser, bass Chris Chafe, celletto and dilruba
- Further pieces to be announced with members of Telematic Circle
Course Catalog Entry
MUSIC 158. Soundwire Ensemble: Stanford's Internet2-based Soundwire Ensemble rehearses with the East Coast Tintinnabulate Ensemble directed by Pauline Oliveros, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Concerts, composition, and improvisation projects using resources available when connecting with remote musicians. State-of-the-art audio and video technology developed by ensemble participants. May be repeated for credit. 2-3 units, Aut (Chafe, C; Wang, G)