From CCRMA Wiki
Project #3: "Big Sound Sketches"
In this homework, you are to sketch out a proposal & an early working prototype for a full-ensemble SLOrk piece.
- 2023.5.9 Tuesday midnight (over Discord in the #big-sound-sketches channel): a video of an early sketch (sound + interaction)
- submit at least one video per person (if you aren't yet in a group) OR per group (if you have a group idea in mind)
- if group video, be prepared to talk about your contribution
- if you/your group have more than one idea, feel free to submit more than one for feedback from the class
- 2023.5.10 Wednesday (in class; relevant files in SVN before class): be prepared to try out your sketch using 12 stations
- design and prototype a instrument idea intended for the full ensemble (up to 12 human performers and stations)
- consider issues of playability, expressiveness, the sound through the hemispherical speaker arrays, and also use in an larger ensemble setting
- come to class on Wednesday prepared to try out your sketch in a full-ensemble setting (12 performers and stations)
- how will it sound?
- how will it play?
- will it be networked?
- will it be conducted? if so, how? (feel free to invent your own conducting gestures)
- bring plans for a brief musical statement (1-2 minute) to try with the group
- please check in your instrument prototype into SVN with a script and before class to facilitate running your sketch from every station
- "The Birth and Rise of the Laptop Orchestra" from Artful Design
- "Why A Laptop Orchestra?" by Dan Trueman
- S.M.E.L.T. toolkit for mapping keyboard, mouse, joystick to sound
- Open Sound Control networking is optional, but if you do network, OSC is the standard for sending control messages
- OSC starter code in ChucK
- if you are new to OSC, start with s.ck (sender) and r.ck (receiver)
- If you need help with ChucK, S.M.E.L.T., or OSC please reach out in Discord or contact the teaching team!
- feel free to start experimenting and prototyping on your own, but you'll want to get into the listening room and work with an actual hemi speakers