Homework 3 |
November 11th, 2022
Music 256a / CS476a, Stanford University
(If the images aren't loading properly they can be found here or you can right click and open them in a new tab)
Sequencer in Action
Click the Axo's on the bottom of the screen to pick one up with your cursor, then click on a square to place them.
To remove an Axo, click on the trashcan then click on the Axo you want to remove.
To clear your cursor right click.
Axos will only make noise if you click on the circles below their feet, this indicates to them which beats they should play on.
To change the note an Axo plays, click on the note attached to their square.
To change the octave of a note, right click it, the current octave is indicated by the dots below the letter.
To change the tempo of a row, click on the tempo selector to the left of the row, it will cycle between slow, standard, and fast.
Note: The sequencer sometimes gets very suddenly really garbled and messed up after several minutes. I believe this is cuased by switching focus to other applications but I haven't narrowed it down yet. If this happens restart the sequencer.
Production Build - Windows
Overall I'm satisfied with what I have, but I wish I had done more. In the end the only major feature I had to cut was saving multiple grids and being able to play them in order. I think I may end up implementing this down the line, as the sequencer is something that I think could be very useful in future projects of mine. I was inspired by my Axolotl sprites for an old project of mine and wanted to expand on them. I started with my pink Axo (which I wanted to use in the visualizer) and sort of just kept going from there. I've never considered myself an artist, and I wish I had done something more with the background, but overall I'm pretty proud of the sprites and animations. Having to make a seperate sprite for all the different states of each object was super time consuming, and I part of me feels like the amount of time I put into the sprites doesn't come across when you look at them. I made all the assets myself, although some scripts and sprites were reused from older, non-academic projects of mine. The system design makes sense to me but after I tried to explain it to my roomate, it could definitley use some cleaning up, even though I think the broad ideas are relatively intuitive.
Overall I think the bulk of the work is behind me, it's just a matter of making some aesthetic changes and additions and refinining the UX. I don't forsee myself even needing to really open the chuck script again at all. I also need to add many more axos :)