Society for Music Theory
Committee on the Status of Women
Activities at SMT Toronto 2000
Wednesday, 1 November, 2000
7:00-10:00 pm, CSW Business meeting and dinner (Sheraton - Ginger Snap Room)
Thursday, 2 November, 2000
7:00-10:00 pm, CSW Joint Session (Sheraton - Kenora)
A Look Back at the 20th Century: Gender and Identities
Suzanne Cusick. 20th-Century History of Music Scholarship about Women and
- Su Zheng. Identities, Roles, and Status of Women Music Professionals in the
- Panel Discussion: The History and Missions of Committees on the Status of
AMS - Claire Fontijn-Harris
CMS - Judy Cole and Cal Johnson
MLA - Paula Matthews
SAM - Liane Curtis
SEM - Zoe Sherinian
SMT - Elizabeth Sayrs
Friday, 3 November, 2000
12:15-1:45 pm, CSW Special Session (Sheraton - Elgin Room)
Gender Studies and the Theorist: Identity, Pedagogy, Analytical Strategies
Elizabeth Sayrs (Ohio State University), Chair
"Kitsch, Culture, Darstellungen: Webern, Atonality and the Articulation of
Renee T. Coulombe (University of California, San Diego)
- "A Personal Path to a Feminist Music Theory"
Diane Follet (Muhlenberg College)
- "A Feminist Conception of Tonal Coherence for Prokofiev's "Wrong-Note" Music"
Deborah Rifkin (Oberlin College)
- "Speculations on Feminine Modes of Hearing and their Relation to Feminism"
Martin Scherzinger (Eastman School of Music)
Saturday, 4 November, 2000
12:15-1:45 pm, SMT Committee on the Status of Women, Affiliates Luncheon Meeting (Sheraton - Spring Song/Spindrift Rooms)
All interested members of the SMT community are invited to join CSW members for a no-host luncheon where we can discuss issues of mutual interest and concern in an informal gathering.