Music 220 Final Project
integrated application for composing with multichannel spatial algorithms
- To ease the process of applying spatialization algorithms to musical compositions
- Create an entry point for expressive control of spatialization with oustide applications
- Facilitate a collaborative environment for spatialized compositions using the network
- Implement a mixing system that does not need a monitor to navigate
- Minimum user requirements
- Play sound directly from the room computer using jack audio.
- Connect any direct source via headphone jack, 1/4 inch analog, and adat.
- Input and output audio streams over the network via jacktrip.
- Midi-Interface Control
- Intuitive approach for routing audio to individual speakers
- localize a sound source with VBAP and Ambisonics using knobs
- Store and recall presets
- Open Sound Control
- Remote access and feedback to all gains
- Remote access to spatialization parameters
- Standardization of spatialization parameters for external applications and visualizations
- Store and recall presets over the network
- Setting modes to route input sources
- Play audio through Main Computer
- Play audio through stereo jacks
- Play audio through Adat
- Play audio through Blueray player
- Play audio from Microphones
- Play audio through VBAP
- Play audio through Ambisonics
- Multidimensional Array of mixer gains
- The gain data for routing audio will be encapsulated in a 3 dimensions for faders and 4 dimensions for knobs
- Must be convenient to add additional faders or knobs to be scalable to different midi interfaces.
- Must be structured intuitively for proper parsing and storage of presets.
- Audio routing
- Hardware control and audio buffers must be independent to allow for scalibility and interchangability.
- Programming Language
- Gui interface for visualization of source in 3d space
- In this example, a coordinate system is defined to be 0 at the center facing an arbitrary direction as the front
- The coordinates of the ball relative to the listener is mapped directly to VBAP and/or Ambisonics as polar or rectangular in 3 dimensions.
- Rotation and translation of the listener with the corresponding coordinate transformation can create sound image of flying or turning ones head.
- Messages sent via OSC may or may not be updated on the hardware interface depending on current mode settings.
- External Visualization Application by Jorge Herrera
- Collaborative spatialized mixing of multiple location jam session
- In this example, multiple locations are sending audio to Open Mixer and being spatialized in the room.
- The spatialized audio is being recorded in ambisonics and sent out to other musicians via jacktrip.
- Other musicians have hardware controllers that are updated to current Open Mixer settings.
- Other musicians and Open Mixer user manipulate gains and spatialization parameters in a haptic handshaking technique.
- Implement an Open Mixer recorder for spatialization gestures and control data.
- Implement a text-based mini screen for creating, saving, and recalling presets.
- Evaluate different haptic techniques for collaborative spatialized work.
- Design a remote maintenace system for updating software.