See §6.8 below for the list of things I had to do after upgrading to Fedora 6 on my Linux desktop (with the desktop itself described in §15.9 below).
/sbin/e2label /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2labels /dev/hda2 as ``/mnt/hda2''. Then the fstab entry is changed from
/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ext3 defaults 1 2to
LABEL=/mnt/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ext3 defaults 1 2
yum -y updatewhich took hours to complete (over 700 packages updated).
updatedb locate '.rpmnew'to find all the config files that were not installed because I had modified them. In particular, after installing the two rpmnew files I found in /etc/yum.repos.d/, another yum -y update yielded over 300 more updates! (Before this, CUPS printing didn't work.)
yum install samba-swatwhich pulled in xinetd, after which I could configure Samba again (system-config-samba)[Update F16: no longer exists - now supposed to go to localhost:901 to run `swat', but this does not yet work for me]. The Windows work group name had somehow gotten lost in the upgrade. Resetting that got it working for a while, but then it stopped working. I finally got it working again after merging /etc/samba/smb.conf with smb.conf.rpmnew and deleting /etc/samba/smbusers and rebuilding it from the config gui. Another barrier was that somehow the nmb service was no longer configured to start as well as the smb service. I had to add it explicitly to run-level 5 myself.
In summary, Fedora 7 mostly works, and the upgrade was straightforward, but Samba is broken, which prevents networking with my Windows machine.