Next: Summary and Results
Previous: Multidimensional WDFs as PDE
Before launching into a full technical summary and listing results in the next section, it is worthwhile to take a step back and view the underlying motivations for writing this thesis. The general goal of this project can be expressed as an attempt to answer, or at least address several general questions about wave digital filter and digital waveguide network numerical simulation algorithms:
These were the guiding questions that the author had in mind throughout this project; all the results have some bearing on their answers. The impatient reader can flip to §6.1 for these answers--some clear-cut, some much less so.
- To what types of systems can wave digital and digital waveguide network simulation approaches be applied?
- What features do these two methods share, and what distinguishes them?
- What are their relative advantages?
- Can they be unified in a formal way?
- What extensions and improvements can be made to the existing forms of these methods?