From CCRMA Wiki
Project #1: Create A New SLOrk Instrument
- part A 2015.4.8 in class: work-in-progress; 1 minute expressive live demo
- part B 2015.4.15 in class: finished instrument; 1-2 minute live mini-performance. (This coincides with your first milestone - the beginning of creating your work for the first concert.)
In this project, you are to create a laptop orchestra instrument for a single hemispherical speaker array.
- design and create a new instrument for laptop and a single hemispherical speaker array!
- use ChucK to create/implement the instrument
- should take advantage of the multi-channel aspect (or have a good reason to not do that)
- consider issues of playability, expressiveness, sound, and also use in an ensemble setting
- craft a very short piece for your instrument, describe/score it, and perform it in class
- each person should turn in their own instrument/performance - however, working together is highly encouraged!
- feel free to use any combination of keyboard, mouse/trackpad, gametrak, joystick, and any other input device
- ChucK audio programming language (download this!)
- S.M.E.L.T. toolkit for mapping keyboard, mouse, joystick to sound
- come to the tutorial on ChucK and S.M.E.L.T. on Saturday (4/4) at 1pm, CCRMA classroom (exactly downstairs from the stage) CODE from Tutorial
- feel free to start experimenting and prototyping on your own, but you'll want to get into the listening room and work with an actual hemi speakers
- a full station will be set up in the CCRMA Listening Room (room schedule/sign-up).