From CCRMA Wiki
Project #1: Create A New SLOrk Instrument
- milestone A 2014.4.9 in class: work-in-progress; 30 second live demo
- milestone B 2014.4.16 in class: finished instrument; 2 minute live mini-performance
In this project, you are to create a laptop orchestra instrument for a single hemispherical speaker array.
- design and create a new instrument for laptop and a single hemispherical speaker array!
- use ChucK to create/implement the instrument
- should take advantage of the multi-channel aspect (or have a good reason to not do that)
- consider issues of playability, expressiveness, sound, and also use in an ensemble setting
- craft a very short piece (~2) for your instrument, describe/score it, and perform it in class
- each person should turn in their own instrument - however, working together is highly encouraged!
- feel free to use any combination of keyboard, mouse/trackpad, joystick, gametrak, and any other input device
- ChucK audio programming language
- S.M.E.L.T. toolkit for mapping keyboard, mouse, joystick to sound
- 3 full stations will be set up in the CCRMA Listening Room (room schedule/sign-up)
- feel free to start experimenting and prototyping on your own, but you'll definitely want to get into the listening room and work with the actual hemi speakers and laptop
- come to the tutorial on ChucK and S.M.E.L.T. on Sunday (4/6) at 3pm, CCRMA classroom