- A multi-functional, compact MIDI controller for DJs and producers looking for getting the most out of the least space.
Steps / Schedule
11/03 - order parts, finalize design, and create housing template
11/10 - finalize housing template, laser cut housing, begin assembly
11/17 - finalize assembly and begin programming
11/24 - finalize programming
12/1 - solve any remaining issues and take care of fine tunings
12/2 - make and practice presentation
12/3 - final presentation
12/4 - documentation
Original off-the-cuff concept sketches for a modular midi controller, note magnetic connections
Fine-tuned 3d sketch of the modular midi concept
Abandoning modular midi for the sake of time and complexity, focusing on a single component
Current concept sketches for multi-functional midi controller
Research + Info
Examples of other work
- Yamaha / Toshio Iwai -- Tenori-on (http://www.global.yamaha.com/tenori-on/)
- Jazzmutant Lemur (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_BMnwIbWJw)
- Dillafiler (https://ccrma.stanford.edu/wiki/Dillafier)
- Ableton - Akai APC40 (http://www.akaipro.com/product/apc40)
- Icon Digital USA - iControls - Mini USB MIDI Controller (https://www.icondigitalusa.com/content/icontrols-mini-usb-midi-controller)
- For a minimum viable product, I need to accomplish my goal of developing multi-functional faders, faders which function as encoders and buttons. So, I need at least a simple casing to house the electronics, which would at minimum be four complex faders.
- I want to have, by the final deadline, a clean and polished product with four multi-functional components, four programmable single buttons, and a tactile controller for directional interaction, all sending MIDI messages to my computer via USB.
Unlimited Time + Resources Vision
- With unlimited time and resources, I would want to expand on my current idea and revisit my original concepts for a modular MIDI controller, with multiple separate modules of faders, potentiometers, button banks, tactile controllers or joysticks, and piano keys.
* X-Large Linear 10k Taper Fader -- 4x
* RGB LED Rotary Encoder -- 4x
* Circular RGB LED Singular Button -- 4x
* 5-Way Tactile Switch -- 1x
* Power source -- 1x
* Arduino -- 1x
* Frosted Black Acrylic