Current Requirements: Intel CPU and Mac OS X 10.6 or greater
- First install XCode Developer tools (see this link or go to the App Store) and make sure that command line tools are installed. (Alternative to XCode:  and choose a package GCC-10.6.pkg, GCC-10.7.pkg, etc.)
- Download "Qt libraries 4.8.4 for Mac (185 MB)" from the following link and install it (installation takes about 5 minutes).
- Download the file faust-0.9.58.zip from the Faust repository.
- Then open the Terminal program. Probably the ZIP file wound up in your Downloads directory, and you could move it into the current (i.e. home) directory by typing:
mv ~/Downloads/faust-0.9.58.zip .
- Unzip it by typing
- Enter the new faust-0.9.58 directory by typing
- Finally, run the following commands to compile and install Faust. You will have to enter the administrator password to install Faust:
sudo make install
- Then you will need to install the Jack Audio server. Download the 64/32 bit version from Jack Audio Server for OS X (after you install this you will need to restart).
- To download Synth-A-Modeler (SaM), click on the Zip button near the upper-lefthand corner of this page.
- Now open up the Terminal again, and make sure you are in your home directory by typing
- Now, move SaM into your home directory by typing
mv ~/Downloads/SaM-master.zip .
- Extract Synth-A-Modeler using
unzip SaM-master.zip .
- To enter the Synth-A-Modeler directory, type
- To build all of the models into QT applications for the Jack audio server, run the command
(If that didn't work, then talk to one of us.)
Finally, install the Synth-A-Modeler software into the directory ~/SAM
Before you plug in your FireFader, run the command
for a list of the serial devices. Then, after plugging in the FireFader, run
again. The new path you see is the path to your FireFader. For instance, on my machine it is /dev/cu.usbmodem1d11. Then edit the file ~/SAM/WhichDevice.txt so that it contains only the new path, that is for me it contains only the following:
(Old way: update PATH_TO_SERIAL in jack-qt.cpp)
Then try to compile the guiro model by typing make jackqt SAMTARGET=guiro
Make sure that in the Jack settings, the frames/period is set to 32.
(Ran fine on Mac Book Pro Late 2008 Intel Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.8.2 at 32 samples per frame, MacBook Pro Intel Core i7 running OS X 10.7.5 with Qt version 4.7.4 at 32 samples per frame, and iMac running OS X 10.6.8 at 32 samples per frame, Ran fine on dual-core 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS X 10.6.8)
Requires minimum Perl version 5.10
The following kinds of errors can for instance happen if you ever upgraded Faust but forgot to remove the older version of Faust: error: macro "max" passed 3 arguments, but takes just 2 or other particularly errors involving some standard template libraries, then please make sure you only have one version of Faust installed. You can remove all older versions of Faust by entering into each of their source directories and running sudo make uninstall (Then of course you will need to reinstall you favorite version of Faust 0.9.58 by going into its source directory and running sudo make install