Sound Synthesis With Max Or Pd
We demonstrate sound synthesis using a series of patches.
- If you are using Pd, save the series of patches for Pd pd_lecture.zip to your computer and uncompress them.
- If you are using Max/MSP, save the series of patches for Max max_lecture.zip to your computer and uncompress them.
- Start up either Pd or Max/MSP.
- Read and try the patches.
- Look through further example patches: In Pd, the examples can be found in the 'Help' Menu. In Max/MSP, see the Max Tutorials and MSP Tutorials in the Help menu.
- Look at the links for Pd and Max/MSP on the PID Links page.
You might like to experiment with a collection of STK Physical and FM synthesis objects. To make them available in Max/MSP, you will need to install PeRColate. Recently, PeRColate was compiled again for Pd for OS X. If all else fails, Stk2pd should work for Linux or OS X.
To install on Windows, copy the contents of the PeRCOlate_objects (Win) directory to your C:\Program Files\Cycling '74\Max 5.0\Cycling '74\max-externals directory.
The names of the STK objects in STk2pd are as follows (if you're using percolate just look at the website or the files that come with the library for the list):
- BeeThree~ (See note)
- FMVoices~ (See note)
- HevyMetl~ (See note)
- Mandolin~ (See note)
- Moog~ (See note)
- Rhodey~ (See note)
- Simple~ (See note)
- TubeBell~ (See note)
- VoicForm~ (See note)
- Wurley~ (See note)