SGSI07 Music and Human Behavior
From CCRMA Wiki
Revision as of 18:53, 16 August 2007 by Hiroko
SGSI Summer course in Musical Behavior
- Vinod Menon
- Jonathan Berger
- Assistants: Hiroko Terasawa, Song-Hui Chon
- Place: Wallenberg Hall (tentative)
- Sunday 9/16 dinner and concert
- Monday 9/17 The Anatomy of Musical Hearing
- Tuesday 9/18 Learning and Memory
- Wednesday 9/19 Expectations
- Thursday 9/20 Timing and temporal structures
- Friday 9/21 Emotion in Music
- 9/16 Haydn, String Quartet op. 54, no. 2. Beethoven, string Quartet, op. 132
- 9/18 Wagner, Tannhauser (tentative)
- 9/19 Schubert, String Quintet, C major (tentative)
- Peretz, I. & R. J. Zatorre. 2003. The Cognitive Neuroscience of Music. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, December 2005 - Vol. 1060. The Neurosciences and Music II: From Perception to Performance. Page xi-487. link
- Zatorre RJ, Chen JL, Penhune VB. When the brain plays music: auditory-motor interactions in music perception and production. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2007 Jul;8(7):547-58. PMID: 17585307. link
- Stewart L, von Kriegstein K, Warren JD, Griffiths TD. Music and the brain: disorders of musical listening. Brain. 2006 Oct;129(Pt 10):2533-53. Epub 2006 Jul 15. Review. PMID: 16845129. link
- McDonald I. Musical alexia with recovery: a personal account. Brain. 2006 Oct;129(Pt 10):2554-61. Epub 2006 Sep 7. PMID: 16959814. link
- Sridharan D, Levitin DJ, Chafe CH, Berger J, Menon V. Neural dynamics of event segmentation in music: converging evidence for dissociable ventral and dorsal networks. Neuron. 2007 Aug 2;55(3):521-32. PMID: 17678862. link
- Blood, A.J. & Zatorre, R.J. (2001) Intensely pleasurable responses to music correlate with activity in brain regions implicated with reward and emotion. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 98, 11818-11823.
- Zatorre, R.J. & Halpern, A.R. (2005) Mental Concerts: Musical Imagery and Auditory Cortex. Neuron, 47, 9-12.
- Krumhansl, C. L. 1990. Cognitive Foundations of Musical Pitch. New York: Oxford University Press, pp.16-31.
- Krumhansl. C.L. 2002. Music: A Link Between Cognition and Emotion
- Current Directions in Psychological Science. Vol. 11 Issue 2 Page 45 April 2002
- Krumhansl, C.L. 1996. A perceptual analysis of Mozart's Piano Sonata K. 282: Segmentation, tension, and musical ideas. Music Perception 13 (3):401-432.
Please answer the following and e-mail your responses to Song-Hui Chon
- Succinctly describe what you hope to get out of this course and what you feel you can contribute.
- List five questions regarding music and human musical behavior that you would like to pursue in depth during the week of the summer course.