Pre Laptop Orchestra/Gear
SLOrk Gear - what we are thinking about getting for the ensemble. Please add suggestions and links here!!!
- macbook (current first choice) (description)
- $1380 per laptop
- planning to buy RAM upgrade separately from apple
- possible paint job outsourcing on white ones
- hoping to get 16x to 20x in the first round
- Ram at Newegg: (linkage)
- see Speaker Design Page
- subwoofers! (any suggestions?)
currently, the thinking is starting with the MOTU Ultralite, and then getting another, more linux-compatible one
- MOTU ultralite (description)
- $545 retail (anyone know how to get them cheaper? Hayden?)
- metering + onboard level control
- unknown/no linux support (boo)
- need to get same number as laptops
- comment (jeff) - i said this at the meeting, but i reiterate, we have a HUGE oppurtunity here to make some real changes if we consider this device. MOTU stands to make a big sale, and a great partnership if they'd consider letting some of us work on linux drivers. They probably don't do it because they dont want to and cant find anybody qualified to work on this. We should not take it lightly the pull we have with this project.
- Alesis iO-26 (description}
- $399 retail
- metering + onboard level control (not sure if this is for ins AND outs or what...probably need a test. looks promising though...'flexible routing'?)
- unknown linux support
- need to get same number as laptops
- not stackable. however, maybe this makes it easier to read and use? much more like a real mixer and independent level controls is way cool.
- Linux-friendly: Echo Audiofire 2 ()
- or: Audiofire 4 ()
- Cheap $200 - $300
- Audiofire 2 is 2in/2out + 2/2 digital, no preamps,
- Audiofire 4 is 4in/4out + 2/2 digital , w/preamps
- Echo has been cooperating with the ffado project: ()
- Check out the ffado database for other options
- Edirol FA-101 (description)
- ~$380 online
- 10in x 10out (i bet 2 of each are digital)
- we have one to test (lonely on ge's desk)
- probably the most inconspicuous device
- linux friendly
- no channel metering (i think the motu might be the ONLY one with this, unless that alesis works that way)
- vocal mic's (Shure SM58, 4x)
- $100 each
- instrument mic's (Shure KSM141, 4x)
- headset mic's (ideally want 12 or more of these)
- finger drum pads
- MIDI keyboards (hoping to get at least 6x)
- option: edirol PCR-M30 (description) : ($150, at least 6x) : comment (ge) - in use in PLOrk
- wacom tablet
- option: Intuos 6x8 (description) : ($300, at least 4x) : comment (ge) - in use in PLOrk
- wiimotes (with nunchuk) (description) : ($60, at least 12x)
- dance pads?
- turntable interfaces?
- XLR cables
- Audio Interface => Amp/Speakers cables (may need to build our own)
Storage and Transportion
- one giant laptop container on wheels? (comment: all eggs in one basket....[jf])
- locks for laptops?
- ~ 4 space rack cases (gator or whatever)...i imagine we can fit a powerconditioner, audio card, probably even interface, AND laptop (w/padding) into one of these. doubles as a laptop stand/elevator during performance. consolidates each persons gear to one 'suitcase', so one speaker, one rack, no big deal. you can usually lock these too.
Matts + Pillows (etc)
- Zabuton matts + pillows (descriptions)
REED SAYS recommends getting them here: http://www.samadhicushions.com/cushions_and_benches.html?id=rWepZdtb it might be a wee bit more expensive but the quality is much better. I have used a cushion and matt from these guys for years. I would also like to consider coloured centre cushions and perhaps a one sided colour on the matt. What do you think. This allows for a possible roll assignment in the future while playing... I agree that the mats should look alike from audience...
- Lapinators (lapinator) - comment (ge): do we need these? - comment (jf) : no. not fond of using a laptop in my lap.
Power cables / surge protectors / power conditioners
- a nice wide-angle video camera?
- a nice still camera?
comment (jf) - do we really need to spend funds on these? so many of us have them. what about robocam guy?
Video Projector(s) + screen(s) : OPTIONAL
Everything Else : Suggestions?