Physical Interfaces for Music
by Michael Gurevich
- Toy vs. Instrument
- Sonification vs. Deliberate Control
- Pre-programmed vs. Performed
- Cartoon Sounds vs. Musical Sounds
- Individual vs. Group
Blaine & Fels' Contexts of Collaborative Musical Experiences
- Balancing complexity and expressivity
- But can't something be complex and expressive, if the performer is skilled??
- Player to Player
- Players to Audience
- Local vs. Remote
- A/V causality
- Player Interaction
- Specific roles
- N copies
- Musical Range
- Physical Interface
- Directed Interaction
- Expert leader
- Pathway to Expert Performance
- Compromised when ease of learning is achieved by constraining musical material
- Level of Physicality
1. M. Gurevich and J. Treviño (2007). Expression and Its Discontents: Toward an Ecology of Musical Creation. Proceedings of the 2007 Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME-07), New York, USA.
2. M. Gurevich, B. Verplank and S. Wilson (2003). Physical Interaction Design for Music. Proceedings of the 2003 International Computer Music Conference, Singapore.
3. T. Blaine and S. Fels (2003). Contexts of Collaborative Musical Experiences. Proceedings of the 2003 Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME-03), Montreal, Canada.
4. J. Malloch, D. Birnbaum, E. Sinyor and M. Wanderley (2006). Examining Design Goals of Digital Musical Instruments. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Digital Audio Effects (DAFx-06), Montreal, Canada.
5. D. Birnbaum, R. Fiebrink, J. Malloch and M. M. Wanderley (2005). Towards a Dimension Space for Musical Devices. Proceedings of the 2005 Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME-05), Vancouver, BC, Canada.
6. P. Cook (2001). Principles for Designing Computer Music Controllers. CHI '01 Workshop on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME-01). Seattle, USA.
7. C. Poepel (2005). On Interface Expressivity. Proceedings of the 2005 Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME-05), Vancouver, BC, Canada.
8. D. Wessel and M. Wright (2001). Problems and Prospects for Intimate Musical Control of Computers. CHI '01 Workshop on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME-01). Seattle, USA.
9. S. Jorda (2001). New Musical Interfaces and New Music-making Paradigms.CHI '01 Workshop on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME-01). Seattle, USA.
10. M. Resnick and B. Silverman (2005). Some Reflections on Designing Construction Kits for Kids. Proceedings of Interaction Design and Children conference, Boulder, CO.