Background notes on SL
From CCRMA Wiki
Revision as of 12:36, 20 July 2009 by Jieun5
- "The Second Life Terms of Service ensure that users retain copyright for any content they create"
- on average, 38,000 residents were logged in at any particular moment. The maximum concurrency (number of avatars inworld) recorded is 88,200 in the 1st qtr. 2009
- During a 2001 meeting with investors, Rosedale noticed that the participants were particularly responsive to the collaborative, creative potential of Second Life. As a result, the initial objective driven, gaming focus of Second Life was shifted to a more user created, community driven experience.
From experience/ exploration
- concept of "live music" events: what are the motivations for the performer and for the audience?
- concept of user-driven/-generated environment
- talker: consider a music analogue
- MUDs (multi-user dungeon)
- "Life on the Screen"