From CCRMA Wiki
Revision as of 10:03, 8 March 2020 by Vidya (→Aspect 3: Aesthetics of Presentation "Fixed Media or Live Performance")
Final Project: "Computer-Mediated, Audio-visual(-HAI) System for Musical Composition / Performance
You are to craft, compose, and present / perform a "Computer-mediated, Audio-visual work" The deliverables for the final project include:
- milestone presentations
- webpage documenting your system/performance, including video demo
- the live performance
- milestone 0 (in-class, Monday, 2/24/2020): initial ideas, detailing vision, sound, music, interaction, aesthetics, music technology involved
- milestone 1 (in-class, Monday, 3/2/2020): basic working idea
- milestone 2 (in-class, Monday, 3/9/2020): minimal essential system—with the main aesthetic and artistic loop closed!
- all material (website/Canvas Wednesday 3/18/2020, noon): final project website, containing video, description, code, data files, README
- rehearsals: TBD
- Final Presentation: Website only (either Option B or Option D). Refer to the course webpage for details
Aspect 1: "Computer-Mediated"
- must take advantage of the computer in a compelling/non-trivial way
- for example: algorithms! sound synthesis! interactive control! generative systems!
Aspect 2: "Audio-Visual"
- audio: use/combine techniques we covered in class (synthesis, generative, interaction) or something else; use ChucK
- visual: interpret this as you'd like;
- option 1: use Processing or Chunity for real-time graphics/animation, coupled to audio/ChucK via OSC
- option 2: otherwise involve visuals in a core/non-peripheral way: e.g., design gestures/movement mapped to sound
- option 3: some conspicuous use of AI or ML (e.g., with a human-in-the-loop; human-centered AI) — (need green light from instructors!)
Aspect 3: Aesthetics of Presentation "Fixed Media or
- design not only the system (sound, music, interaction, code), but ***design the presentation***, being extremely mindful to have and navigate aesthetics
- aim for 3-7 minute per piece (though your fully designed presentation
/ live performancecan be longer or shorter)
- keep in mind setup/transition time
polished documentation on portfolio | upload to canvas
- 0) portfolio-grade video documentation + description
- 1) source code + sound files for your performance
- 2) written documentation (and any program notes / bios)
- 3) the final live performance / video performance