Homework #0: Computational (An)aesthetics
Due date: 2011.1.11 11:59:59pm (or thereabout), Monday.
- first, peruse CA article and this paper
- no need to worry about the details for now, it's more important to get a sense of the ideas of cellular automata and the paper
- in fact, try spending no more than 30 minutes total on the wikipedia article and paper combined
Specification (part 1 of 2): Response
- respond to the reading assignment in one of the following ways:
- either a chuck program (of any length) that makes sound
- or a brief written/textual response (can be as short as a paragraph, or as long as uh two paragraphs, or more)
- or a drawing / image, or something else graphical
- or a combination of above
- this can be a response to something in the paper, or indirectly from the ideas in CA/paper/life/universe/everything
Specification (part 2 of 2): ChucKu's
- construct two chucku's, according to the following specifications:
- like a haiku, a chucku should contain exactly 3 lines of code (each less than 80 characters)
- each chucku should generate sound
- 5/7/5 pattern optional, but try to make the code "pretty"
- check out one line chuck crazy to see similarly compact examples
- the chucku's should be standalone (i.e., no external audio or chuck files)
- (thanks to Chris + kijjaz for the idea)
- Have fun with it!!!
turn in all files by putting them in your Library/Web/220b/hw0/ directory AND email Ge (ge@ccrma) and Nick (njb@ccrma) with ONLY the website URL
- 1) your responses to the reading, as .ck or .txt or .jpg files
- 2) a separate .ck file for each chucku
- 3) an audio recording of one or more of the programs (hw0.wav) -
- 4) a short README text (readme.txt) file that:
- conveys your ideas/comments in constructing each program
- contains instructions on running your programs
- describes any difficulties you encountered in the process
UPDATE: do not worry about submitting to the homework factory for this assignment: just have the files in the right places.