FTS Documentation Online
The whole FTS documentation is now provided in the HTML format, and
can be read using your favorite WWW browser;
very last version of the documentation is also kept in the
Ircam Web Site.
If you prefer printed documentation, you can print the html documents
using the html2ps program by Jan Karrman, available from
FTS Release Notes
The latest release (1.5.0) introduce dynamic
loading for user objects, some new object library and a small
number of changes and bug fixes, including a MIDI related fix;
see the 1.5.0 release notes.
The previous release (1.4.0) introduce a small
number of new functionalities, like a list processing object library,
a first implementation of error handling at the patch level, MIDI time
code support at the system level, better builtin compatibility with
the Max 0.26 release, and better support for machine specific configuration
information; see the 1.4.0 release notes.
You can also consult he relase notes for release 1.3.16 for more
information on recent changes, or older
release notes that are still in text only format.
FTS Installation Instructions
Installation instructions have not yet been converted to
HTML, and are not very user friendly, yet; they come
in two flavors, for the Sgi platform,
and for the ISPW platform.
FTS User Documentation
Most of the documentation is based on the Max 0.26 release for the ISPW;
as a results, some of the new features of FTS are not (yet) documented,
and there may still be some minor inconsistency between the documentation
and the implementation; consult the release notes for more recent and
- A Max/Fts Primer
- An introduction to the Max/Fts visual programming language.
- A Control Objects Tutorial
- The documentation for the control objects tutorials; you can find the
control tutorial patches in the doc/tutorials
directory of the distribution.
- A Signal Objects Tutorial
- The documentation for the signal objects tutorials; you can find the
signal tutorial patches in the doc/tutorials
directory of the distribution.
- The Object Reference Manual
- A reference manual for the Fts builtin object library.
- UCS User Manual
- The User Manual of UCS, the FTS Uniform Configuration System
For more documentation on UCS, look also at the ucs object help
- Fts Configuration Tools
- Some more information on the configuration tools.
FTS Object Programmer Documentation
- Message System Programming Guide
- A guide for writing FTS objects.
- DSP Programming Guide
- A guide for writing FTS objects doing DSP.
FTS Basic Tools Programmer Documentation
- C Programming Style Guide
- The C programming style guide used by the FTS team;
code aimed to be included
in Ircam distributions of FTS need to follow this style guide.
- Kernel Reference Manual
- The Reference Manual of the FTS kernel
Vector Function Library Reference Manual
- The array and vector processing functions of FTS.
FTS Client Programmer Documentation
The FTS C client library reference manual
How to write a client that can connect and comunicate with the FTS server.
Networking FTS, Linking FTS, Multiple Clients
Some points have not been yet fully documented; in particular,
the static linking of external objects and the use of the fts thru
a network and in multiclient situations are documented in a number
a small text format documents.