Ring Modulation, Amplitude Modulation, Frequency Modulation (short intro) and some CLM magic
A series of gif images of the lecture slides... (sorry, only accesible from within Stanford University)
- short description of linear and non-linear systems
- next week: invited lecturer; John Chowning...
- A very simple ring modulation instrument (ringmod.ins)
- A very simple ring modulation instrument with wavetable oscillators (ringmodw.ins)
- A very simple amplitude modulation instrument (ampmod.ins)
- A very simple amplitude modulation instrument with wavetable oscillators (ampmodw.ins)
- A very simple frequency modulation instrument (fmmod.ins)
Create a "Modulation Song" using the 5 example instruments (or custom versions of them, needless to say adding envelopes to control parameters would make most of them much more interesting...). Plug in parameters and experiment with weird sounds. Experiment with different amplitude envelopes (for example: create percussive attacks). Doesn't have to be very long, 1 minute tops! Have fun!